Scout Shop and Service Center
Aside from being your one-stop shop for information, the Scout Shop carries a variety of Scouting supplies including clothing, patches, camping gear, and craft kits. The store includes about 60 percent of what’s offered in the Scout Catalog with other items available by special order. Click here for a flyer that you can share.
Tuesday through Thursday – 12 Noon until 5 PM
*Closing at 3PM on Thursday September 17th*
Friday through Monday – Closed
Holiday Hours – Please call in advance to confirm
Gift certificates are a great way to support a Scout. Gift Certificates are good for 1 year from date of purchase and can be used on anything from Summer Camp to patches to membership. NOTE: The gift certificates are only valid in the Five Rivers Council and purchases made in the Five Rivers Council.
Scout Shop to Service Center
The Five Rivers Council, after a comprehensive review of finances and operations, has made the difficult decision to transform our Scout Store into a Service Center. This process will be implemented over the next several months.
What does this mean:
We will be moving away from being a primary retailer for Scouting items and moving towards all units using Scoutshop.org. We will be focusing mainly on providing services towards our Scouting families and Units. As a part of this, we will be combining the Service Center into the Main Office in Elmira.
Where do I buy my uniforms and patches?
We will carry the most commonly sold sizes of uniforms and the necessary patches during the recruitment season. Once they sell out, we will not be carrying them during the rest of the year. You would need to order them online at Scoutshop.org.
Where do I buy advancement and awards?
We will still be carrying limited quantities of these items. If you need more than 1 or 2, you will need to order them through the Service Center. All orders will need to be paid for in advance.
Will you be selling Handbooks and Merit Badge Books?
Handbooks will be maintained in minimal quantities. We have found that many Scouters are using Scoutbook, digital purchase through Kindle, and other internet resources instead of ,purchasing handbooks.
BSA has already announced that they are no longer printing Merit Badge Books and they will be available only through digital download at Scouting.org
What services will be offered?
We will still be offering the same services that the Scout Store has always provided: processing applications, event registration and payment, facility rentals, recharter processing, production of recruitment fliers, etc.
When will the move take place?
We are trying to get the transition completed before the end of 2020 or early 2021.
Why was this decision made?
No one has been unaffected in these financially challenging times, and that includes the Five Rivers Council. Unfortunately, our Scout Store location has been operating at a significant loss for several years. While we understand that there are benefits to having a local retail location, it is not financially feasible or responsible for us to continue operating this way.
Council Registration and Refund Policies (Click here for a downloadable version)
Due to advance planning, staffing and purchasing necessary to conduct quality Scouting activities, the following policy is in effect regarding refunds:
A participant is not registered for an event until all event fees are paid in full.
A portion of each event participant’s registration fee is non-refundable. Non-refundable registrant fees are outlined:
Registrant fee of $24 or less, $5 is non-refundable.
Registrant fee of $25 – $99, $10 is non-refundable.
Registrant fee of $100 or more, 15% of the fee is non-refundable.
- If an event is cancelled, a full refund will be issued.
- All refund requests must be made in writing and submitted to the Five Rivers Council Business Manager by the person requesting the refund. Requests will be reviewed, and if approved by the Council Business Manager or Scout Executive, a refund will be issued.
- If a refund is requested in writing at least 14 days prior to the start of the event* a full refund, less non-refundable fees as outlined above, will be issued. If a refund is requested in writing less than 14 days prior to the event*, a 50% refund will be issued.
- Beginning with the day an event starts, there will be no refunds. For emergency situations (illness or injury with written documentation by a medical doctor or parent or guardian, a death in the family or unexpected relocation of the family), a 50% refund will be issued.
- All refund requests must be made before the event or, for emergency situations only, during the event or on the business day following the event. Requests made after that time will not be honored.
***This policy as written applies to all council and district events except Cub Scout Day Camp, Cub Scout Resident Camp and Boy Scout Summer Camp.
***This policy does not apply to National, Reginal, Area or out of Council events that may have their own cancellation policy.
***Approved refunds will only be made by check or applied to the unit’s account at the Scout Shop.
***Approved refunds will be made payable to the person/unit in which the payment was originally received.