Recognizing New Eagle Scouts in our Community
January 12, 2023. See flyer below for event details.
Nationally, only 4% of scouts will earn the Eagle Scout rank and in Five Rivers Council, we are proud to have a history of meeting or exceeding that percentage annually.
In total, the 2019, 2020, and 2021 classes of Eagle Scouts logged over a thousand volunteer service hours in the development and execution of their individual community service projects. Beyond that, each scout earned a minimum of 21 merit badges (13 required and 8 elective), as well as served in unit leadership positions.
Significance Of Earning The Eagle Scout Rank
Eagle scouts are extremely rare — in fact, 19 out of 20 young people who join Scouting won’t actually reach the rank of Eagle. Thus, for most teenagers, becoming an Eagle Scout will be one of the greatest accomplishments at that point in their lives!
Countless completed requirements and merit badges, plus years of community service and troop leadership experiences, are just a few of the accomplishments necessary to earn the Eagle rank. In their journey to Eagle, a scout will likely be exposed to many valuable experiences such as:
- Earning at least 21 merit badges, including 13 Eagle-required ones (soon-to-be 14), covering subjects like personal fitness, environmental science, public speaking, citizenship, and financial management.
- Learning valuable morals and life-lessons alongside friends, as they work together to overcome challenges.
- Serving as a leader within their troop by taking charge of a patrol.
- Learning to independently plan itineraries for campouts, backpacking trips, and troop excursions.
- Competing as a unit against other troops in exhilarating, large-scale scout camporees.
- Coordinating and leading a large-scale volunteer project for the betterment of their community (An Eagle Project).
- Involving themselves in service, by volunteering with local organizations and making valuable connections with community leaders.
This list borrowed graciously from https://scoutsmarts.com/benefits-of-earning-eagle-scout-rank/